Thursday, June 7, 2012

Babymoon

Though I don't think the concept of a "babymoon" is new, the phrase seems to be, so I'll just define it real quick. Basically it's a trip you take with your spouse before the baby comes to enjoy some time just the two of you (perhaps for the LAST TIME EVER as some Negative Nancys may say).

We decided we wanted to take a not-too-expensive weekend getaway before the baby arrived to enjoy some time together. I asked Charlie if he would plan the logistics and I have to say he did a GREAT job. I told him I didn't want to fly and that I'd looooove to go to a beach. So, he choose a bed and breakfast on Chincoteague Island, which is located on Virginia's Eastern Shore. Also, if you've known me for a long time, you may remember that I was a tad "horse crazy" as a little girl. I loved horses and I read almost every book Marguerite Henry wrote, including first and foremost, Misty of Chincoteague. (Side note- there was a time in my life when I actually wanted to be a jockey and I remember getting very upset and crying to my mom when I realized I was already too tall to pursue that occupation.) So, this location choice earned Charlie major points with me!


We drove down on Friday and arrived in the afternoon. After checking into the bed and breakfast, we drove over to the beach which is on Assateague Island. The whole island is a nature preserve and this is where the wild ponies live. As we drove to the beach, I spotted some in the distance and apparently freaked Charlie out with my excited shriek. He managed to not drive off the road and pull over so we could take some pictures. As we drove back from the beach, some ponies were in a corral area close to the road (probably because a storm was rolling in) and we got to see them up close.

There are ponies in the distance in this picture

Beach baby

Me with the ponies

Trying to get a picture with the ponies, which are
conspicuously absent in this shot

There are some ponies!

A little colt posing
For dinner we ate at a seafood place that had an "all you can eat" option. Charlie went for this. I did not. I can barely fit a normal meal in my stomach these days. However, this did not keep us from trying the homemade ice cream at the place next door.

Saturday and Sunday we went to the beach. I had been wanting to go to the beach since the winter. Call if a pregnancy craving if you will. It was great, even though the water was still a bit chilly! Also, there are some things you just don't care about at 35 weeks pregnant. Namely, what other people think of your big belly in a bikini. Folks, this is as good as I've ever looked in a bikini (my belly is rock hard!) and it may just be the last time I get to wear one. Plus, the only person I knew there was Charlie and he thought I looked just fine.

Big belly on the beach

Saturday evening we took a sunset boat ride around the island. It was very nice and relaxing. We saw a couple ponies in the distance (a few are pictured below- if you can make them out) and it was nice to hear about some of the history of the island. The sunset was also beautiful! The captain of the boat was very nice (there were only 6 of us on the tour) and he even made a pit stop for me so I could go to the bathroom (it was a 2 hr boat ride!).
Can you find the ponies?

Sunset on Chincoteague Bay

The moon and the Assateague Lighthouse

Us and the lighthouse. I was kinda cold!
The bed and breakfast we stayed at was called the Island Manor House and it was beautiful as well as reasonably priced. The breakfast each morning was fantastic- gourmet and so yummy! We were really happy with our stay and would love to go back some time.



The breakfast room at the B&B
The courtyard at our B&B

The front of the house
We drove home on Monday after a relaxing weekend. Babymoon = success!

No comments: